Friday, January 8, 2010

Retro-posted from 12/29/2009- Yaki Onigiri from Trader Joe's

This posting features my first real product review. Woo!

Contents of Bento: yaki onigiri from Trader Joe's Frozen section (review to follow), dried Korean seaweed, mini pepper stuffed with broccoli floret, takuan with umeshiso paste in the center, burrito filling which is mostly tempeh and peppers--adorned with a pepper ring, and steamed broccoli with Hoisan sauce.

Also: a side car of my homemade applesauce with dried cranberries


A pretty complicated bento for me, all in all. The Korean seaweed stayed crispy until lunchtime, which is so crazy. Like I've said before, it must be some amazing technology.

The burrito filling was on the stove when HB and I got home on the 28th. But I didn't realize that it was burrito filling. It also has rice in it. Our housemate made it to clean some stuff out of the fridge. It's funny how your expectations of what food will taste like changes how you think it tastes. I was pretty sure it was stir-fry before she told me that it was burrito filling. Weird, huh? Anyways, it was quite tasty and a perfect addition to this bento.

Yaki Onigiri from Trader Joe's

I don't know how long that link will stay active, since it's a new product page from Trader Joe's. So here is a listing of the nutrition information from them. They call them Baked Rice Snacks (because they're baked, not fried) and all you have to do is microwave them. They come in a package of 8 for around 3.50$ (your mileage may vary) and are pretty tasty. They do have fish sauce in them (and are made with dashi) so if you are a strict vegetarian, it might not be for you. I personally am not bothered by fish sauce. It's made with small anchovy-type bait fish, which are basically like bugs. And I would eat bugs, I'm just glad I don't have to.

The onigiri were easy to microwave; they were a little sticky when hot, and the flavor was a little pungent when they were warm. They carried excellently in the bento until lunchtime and were absolutely delicious at room temperature. There's no filling in them, but I found that taking umeshiso and takuan was fine for ramping up the flavor. They also have a soy-dashi taste that's pretty nice when they're at room temperature. The texture was pretty terrific too. They are not (like homemade yaki onigiri) at all crunchy, but they are still pretty great. I definitely was glad to have gotten them, will get them again, and keep them in my freezer for quick lunchtime addition. They're pretty expensive for what they are (um, rice), but you're paying for the convenience. I wouldn't take them every day, but once and a while they are a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment