Thursday, January 28, 2010

1/27/2010- Taquito and Pig Bento

No, it's not Taquitos with Pork...there's clearly a Pig in my bento box. (At least, I hope it clearly looks like a pig...)

Contents of Bento: black bean and cheese taquito, split into two pieces, clementine. Black beans with salsa, carrot sticks, pomegranate seeds, 1/2 a prune (for purple color). Carrot flower decorations. Steamed broccoli with PIG radish, his eyes are a little askew in this picture, see below for a more glamorous shot. Side cars have salsa with a little yogurt and multigrain corn chips. The Bear of Salt is eying the pig. Good thing pandas only eat bamboo.

I didn't end up eating the side cars, because there was food at work from a breakfast party.

So, my little pig. Have a look at a closer shot:
awwww, look at 'im. He looks so mad. :D his snout is a slice of carrot, he is a radish (obvs.), and his nostrils and eyes are sesame seeds. The snout is held on by a little piece of an orange toothpick. Since I'm not making bentos for tiny children, I can put dangerous-choking hazards in them. He started out as a mouse, with big round ears, but then quickly turned into a pig once I realized I didn't have a good way to make his face look mouse-like. I trimmed the ears to be pointy-piggy ears. They're big and floppy, like some pigs are. Woo! First Char-ben attempt.

2 comments:

  1. Super cute piggy! I loooove it! Very festive, plus I could totally tell it was a pig. I'm always amazed that you have tinyportions of so many foods to make such a complex bento. Plus I would never have the foresight to pick up little foods to put in a box, but only 2 or 3 at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :D I was pretty pleased with him myself. Mostly I try to put so many different things in my box because I'm trying to get as many different colors in there as possible. Though I do pick up frozen appetizer things from Trader Joe's for bentos, the taquitos in this case were leftover from a party. In our household of 4, leftovers in general tend to sit around in dribs and drabs...it makes it easy to pack little bits for lunch.

    ReplyDelete