Thursday, January 14, 2010

1/14/2010- Indian curries bento and Bento Resolution

There haven't been a lot of postings recently because I've not been packing a bento lunch, just stuff in a bag. Although it's been tasty, it's not really interesting to look at, and also outside of the scope of this blog. ANY-ways.

Lots of the blogs I read have been talking about New Year's Bento resolutions: make bento lunches for the first time, make bento lunches every day, try to post every day, stuff like that.

I decided that I, too, should have a New Year's Bento resolution. I know that my schedule will keep me from packing (and photographing) a bento lunch every day. I'm just too busy between work and school and life. But I decided, after reviewing my blog, to take more time in how the bento looks. I resolve to make "prettier" bentos this year. Maybe not charaben or anything like that, but with a stronger eye towards visual appeal. It has never been a challenge for me to pack a tasty lunch. I'm a pretty good cook (IMHO) and like good quality food. But I do tend to disregard how things look. No more!

The first bento of the resolution features Indian foods made by my housemate, who makes delicious Indian food. It's turmeric-heavy, so I busted out the old glasslock box. MAN, is it tiny. (407ml, baby)

Contents of bento: Kala Chana masala with potatoes, topped with a takuan star, steamed broccoli to keep the sweet things from being curry-ified, frozen sour cherries, and two small pieces of banana bread, curried green beans. The side car has basmati rice in it.

It may be tiny, but this was a very filling lunch. It ended up being more rice than I had thought. I pulled out the two silicon cups and microwaved everything else for max-tastiness and hotness. The takuan star was a little strange on the curry, but not unpleasant. The broccoli barrier also kept the banana bread dry. Sadly, I think my silicon cups will be stained with turmeric tie-dye for a little while.

I tried to use my new, awesome, bento-sized chopsticks (thanks, little mama), but they are white and I didn't want them stained yellow on their first use. I'll have to wait, I suppose.

In my effort to make "prettier" bentos I think I may need to build some kind of light studio. I had a heck of a time trying to take a decent picture of this last night. And I still think it looks weird and dark.

2 comments:

  1. Great resolution! There can always be more prettiness in the world, especially the prettiness you make for yourself. I was thinking the other day whether it's possible to "bento" soup... I really like soup for lunch... plus for me, rice + Trader Joe's box of soup in 2 cup round container = lunch! I add sriracha and stuff but it seems silly to put it in a fish container or even separate it.. I have to think harder about the idea of bento as complete meal but teeny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's part of the reason my posting has been so scanty recently. I've been eating a lot of soup myself. Biggie over at Lunch In a Box (http://lunchinabox.net) sends her son with soups and stews in an insulated Japanese-style lunch kit. Have a look at this posting: http://lunchinabox.net/2007/10/26/curry-and-lamb-stew-lunches/#more-308
    Now, if you don't have an insulated lunch container (I don't either), it seems to me you could still put your soup in a 2-cup round container and take a nice side car of attractively arranged fruit or decorated rice. Just a thought :D

    ReplyDelete