Thursday, February 11, 2010

2-11-2010- Simple Bento with Onigiri, Apple, and Soup

Things have been a little hectic chez nous this month. I am posting this particularly plain bento to illustrate that, yes, I do take non-cute containers. And that also sometimes my lunches are really boring. This is jazzed up a few notches from boring, but that's just to fit in with my New Year's Resolution.

Contents of Bento: Yaki Onigiri garnished with takuan stars, umeshiso paste, and wasabi. Three apple rabbits and one checkered apple. The ugmo red-topped container is filled with delicious, homemade vegetable soup.

I had never made checkered apples before, so I thought I would give it a try. I soaked it and the apple bunnies in OJ and water. They all came out OK, but I'm not going to win any contests with my knife skills. The onigiri were hard to photograph. I probably should have arranged them differently so that their decor would be highlighted. Oh well, they were mostly decorated for added flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Awww apple rabbits! At least they aren't brown, but I guess that was what the OJ/water combo was for? Ha ha that gladware is pretty much what I take food in, and if not that then the delightful round containers that the Chinese food place we order from deliver in. Man I have a lot of those... additionally, and this may be bento heresy, I think round containers look fancier than square ones for some weird reason. also I like stacking round containers on top of each other and then tying them up with my furoshiki. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, browning can be prevented by dunking the apple rabbits in water with a little citric acid in it. Lemon juice works great, so does salt water, but that tastes a little weird. Orange juice was what I had in the fridge and it barely adds any flavor to the apples.
    There are lots of people who prefer round containers :D I'm just not one of them...that doesn't mean I also don't take those round Chinese take-out containers...pretty much every week...

    ReplyDelete