Thursday, February 11, 2010

2-10-2010- Prettiest Bento I will Ever Eat

Maybe. At the very least, certainly it displays garnishing talents that are beyond my ken. HB and I went out for Thai food on Tuesday night at ThaiPot (it's my long day at work) and I brought my bento box in and filled it at the table. Maybe a little weird, but who cares? It's so beautiful!

Contents of bento- Pad Thai Jae with carrot, beet, and daikon beautiful garnish; fried corn cake; two tiny vegetarian spring rolls; lime slice; sour cherries and blueberries in a red silicon cup with carrot pieces underneath to raise it up a bit.

In addition to being beautiful, everything was very tasty. The corn cake and spring rolls were a little damp, but they were still pretty good. I love the little spring rolls they serve; they're about the length of my thumb--perfect for bento. I also took a little packet of soy sauce with me to eat with the fried foods. The sour cherries and blueberries were from home. They're frozen here, but they defrost really nicely by lunchtime.

I'm also going to submit this for hapa bento's B.O.M.B. challenge-- the red of the beet strings and the sour cherries counts. I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, your Thai restaurant does veggie carving! Awesome! I love it! It makes me wish I was into decorative stuff, so I could plop some carrot carving in the middle of my lunch... in fact it might make meals a bit more celebratory or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garnishing like this is a talent I don't have. My only complaint is that in some of the dishes it feels like they give you more garnish (cheap) and less entree (expensive). :D I do use small cookie cutters for garnishing, as you've seen. But that's pretty much my speed limit.

    ReplyDelete