Thursday, November 19, 2009

11/19/2009- Japanese Stuff (sort of) Bento

This is my first foray into speed bento-ing. And as you can see, the results are not very pretty. They were tasty, though, so I don't really care that much.

Contents of Bento: The last of the onigiri made a week ago, three slices of takuan, one pickled onion, slice of tomato buried under crispy, seasoned Korean seaweed stuff. Two gyoza and a small jar of soy sauce/rice vinegar. Because the onigiri on the left were plain, I added two dabs of umeshiso paste.

This was actually a really tasty bento. Considering I made it up in 3 minutes as I was dashing to work, I am especially impressed. I would have been happier if it had more color. Or arrangement. Miraculously, the crispy seaweed stayed crispy. Obviously the Koreans have a magic technique for making this stuff. The seaweed and takuan were both H-mart purchases. I was thrilled to find takuan in not a giant-sized bag (that I would never eat up). The gyoza were from Trader Joe's and I just put them in the box frozen. I think they would have been ok to eat, but I did take them out and nuke them for 30 sec. when I went to eat my lunch.

I think I will have to make something like this again, but perhaps with more prettiness involved. I'm pretty sure that the Korean seaweed will not stay crisp in a box overnight, but that's ok too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I was just looking at the entries for the bento giveaway at the Bento Zen blog.

    I am just looking into making bento boxes for myself and haven't bought anything to make my own yet; but have been looking on the web to be inspired. (I'm going to add your blog to my blog feed via bloglines!)

    Anyway, I'm just looking at your blog and wanted to say out of all the people who made suggestions for the contest, so far I like your "Camera da Moda" the best.

    I just put in my suggestion. Who know what will happen. This is fun though!

    Cheers!,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments :D I am interested to see who wins the contest.

    Remember- bento is just a state of mind, you don't actually need a whole lot of fancy stuff. (Of course, if you're into fancy stuff, that's ok too...:D) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete