Saturday, April 24, 2010

4/24/2010- Tiny Pesto Bowties

I love the tiny pastas that Barilla sells. They were on sale at the grocery so I had to get some. They are absolutely perfect in bento boxes. They also cook really quickly.

Contents of Bento: Tiny bowties with pesto and capers, small breads, tomato bruschetta under the two cheese hearts, frozen cherries, carrot sticks. Two cheese people, who are clearly in love.

This is my lame attempt at charben. But I think it's kind of sweet. I tried something new with the bruschetta. I filled up the silicon cup, and then laid and tucked this plastic lacy sheet over and around it. (The plastic was from part of a wrapper around really fancy Brazilian bon-bons--don't ask.) I was hoping that the surface tension of the bruschetta would keep it neat and tidy. For the most part it worked! Hooray!

The people cut-outs were from tiny cookie cutters that I've had for a while. The heart cut-outs (of cheese and carrot) were free handed. I'm actually getting pretty good at those carrot hearts. They're really not that hard to do.

2 comments:

  1. This is the best bento ever and here is why.

    1. It is cute but not so beautiful you don't want to destroy via consumption (eating kind, not TB kind).
    2. Cheese people look like ghosts, and everyone knows ghost taste great but have fewer calories than delicious living people.
    3. These cheese ghosts are geniuses because they frolic on tiny pasta, so clearly eating them will only increase your own power and intelligence.
    4. More adorable carrot hearts.
    Tee hee! You should enter this bento in contests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH! I didn't even think about them looking like ghosts, but they really do...The lady at the deli counter got the cheese really, really thinly sliced--I was impressed. That's why they're kinda see-through. The pasta was also still warm when I put them on...they are in the process of melting a little bit.

    ReplyDelete