Monday, April 19, 2010

4/13/2010- Salad Bento

Not a bento in the traditional sense, with a divided box, but in lots of little containers. I had a really rich dinner the night before (which I don't remember what it was....) usually I'm not a "big salad" for lunch kind of gal. Anyways, it was the perfect amount of food on this day.

Contents of Containers: Salad w/ carrot (duh), small jar of sunflower seeds, small container of cut mushroom, cheese slices and toasted french rounds. All of the lids to the 4 containers are stacked by size in the background.

I kept the sunflower seeds and mushrooms separated out for an important reason. Mushrooms tend to get slimy when they're too damp, and the sunflower seeds were salted, which would have leached water out of the lettuce and carrots. By keeping them separated, everything was lovely by lunchtime.

2 comments:

  1. I'm all about the soup and salad combo- get some soup trader joe's soup-in-a-box in one container and a little container of salad and I'm set. I admit though it's important for your lunch quality to keep some ingredients separate. My world has changed since I started putting my salad dressing in a small container and then adding it at lunch time. Seriously, I know it's not a big deal, but isn't it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth it. And besides, I kind of like mixing things together at lunch. I'm so fanatical about my love for tiny containers. In someways it's a wonder I didn't get into bento boxes years ago...

    ReplyDelete