Monday, April 19, 2010

4/19/2010-Japanese Leftovers

Again, no traditional bento here. And looking at the picture of the contents, it looks very-not-bento. But anyways...

HB and I had Japanese food last night with our friend S. We went to Hyashi, a local place near where I work. HB decided that we should go out to eat since I had finished the draft of my final exit portfolio. (My degree program has an exit portfolio, instead of a thesis. It's a fairly comparable amount of work.)

Wrapped in furoshiki- I am hiding my Styrofoam takeout container with Japanese leftovers. My tiny chopsticks are stuck in the knot, hiding under it is a small container of soy sauce.

Here's how I arranged the leftovers. Veggie yakisoba, edamame, and sushi: spinach, oshinko, cucumber, ume-cucumber, inari. Very tasty and satisfying. I was too tired last night to arrange this in one of my bentos, but I think it looks pretty tidy and nice in this take-out box.

Everything was great at by lunchtime. This one went in the fridge at work, since it was just in a take-out container and not in my insulated lunch bag.

I've been thinking about what to get as a treat for finishing up my degree...any suggestions? They have some awfully cute bentos over at Japanistic: like this one with a tiny elephant on it or this one with tiny elephants in love. In case you didn't know, I'm kind of into tiny elephants...
Regardless, I think my next bento will be a double-decker, elongated style. I think being able to pack different shapes of bentos is an important part of being into bento. :D

1 comment:

  1. That looks epic. My problem with going out for sushi- almost never any leftovers, much to the detriment of my stomach... oh but I loooove it.

    ReplyDelete