Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/17/2010- More Chickpeas and Asparagus for Spring

We've been eating asparagus right now. It's in season and just so lovely and green-tasting. My favorite way to do it is in a baking dish in a relatively hot oven (400-425°), drizzled with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or with a little sesame oil and soy sauce. Deeeeelicious.

Contents of Bento: Spanish lemony chickpeas, with mixed rices underneath; asparagus broiled in the oven with sesame oil and soy sauce; a new cucumber radish shallot salad; blood orange sections and a lady apple.

I was pleased with the little carrot heart decor- also hand cut, like the bento dinner I did a few days ago. I showed this box to HB for his opinion and he said, "how are you going to get the lid on?" Well, I had arrayed the orange pieces and the asparagus this way for artistic flair. A lot of the bento blogs I read use this technique for pictures. But to answer his question, I tucked the ends of the asparagus around, put the lady apple on its side at one end and the orange sections in the other. I suppose I could have taken a picture with it that way, but it just seemed a little more aesthetic to photograph it like this.

4 comments:

  1. Those blood orange segments are weird looking, at first I saw them I thought they were some sort of teeny fish. I forgot that it is about asparagus season- all of our produce at the grocery store seems to come from far away. I can't wait till the summer produce season starts back up again.
    I also hope Florida recovers from that hard frost because the clementines I've been eating lately taste weird. Where are the blood oranges from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they are pretty weird. They look better without membrane on them, a nice deep purple color, but they don't hold up too well when you peel them down to that level.
    I'm not too sure where the blood oranges were grown. They were purchased as an impulse buy in a mesh bag from Trader Joe's.
    You can always tell when asparagus is in season because it's so cheap :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We in the blogosphere meekly and humbly DEMAND more bentos, and also congratulate you on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duly noted. Well, my dear reader, you will have your wish this afternoon with a few more postings.

    ReplyDelete