Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/16/2010- Orange Bento

This bento was so overwhelmingly orange, I just had to put a little piece of broccoli in it to give it some green.

Contents of Bento: winter squash, cooked in the oven, mixed with a little molasses and salt; mixed white and brown rices; those Spanish lemon chickpeas. Carrot and broccoli decor over everything.

I'm really pleased with how the carrot flowers came out, don't they look great! Also a quarter for scale. This is by far my smallest box, holds only 407ml and is really shallow. But it's glass, which means the whole thing can go in the microwave, and when it's packed full like this, is a surprising amount of food. This is the last bento from the bento-rama of a few days ago.

2 comments:

  1. At some point you may have to share the recipe for lemony spanish chickpeas, I love chickpeas... yummmmm. I've been meaning to make humus but I keep forgetting, plus I ate all my pita crackers... I need to plan better.
    Additionally, I think your bentos often look like modern art, and when I'm eating I don't really like things to be so cute I don't want to eat them, I just want them to be attractive/edible, but not so labor intensive looking that I feel bad about eating them in the tiny amount of time I have for lunch any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about cute food. Somehow it just seems weird to be eating something that looks like a stuffed animal. Mostly I like to have a variety of colors and textures--I know it gives me good nutrition--but it also brightens my day when I open my bento to a colorful lunch.

    ReplyDelete