Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/14/2010- Onigiri and Cucumber- also playing with scale

So here are some attempts to measure or provide a scale for my bentos. You'll see why I used the quarter. The only ruler I have is a metal one and the flash caught it something fierce. The leaflet tight box is about 7" on the longest side.



Here's a picture next to a quarter:


And finally just a close-up shot of the box. Without scale it could be really huge, but it's definitely not. The leaflet tight box is the largest box I have. It holds 500ml and has the largest footprint.
Contents of Bento: Frozen sour cherries, 2 small pieces of BBQ chikn wing-a-ling pizza with flying carrot garnish, awesome cucumber radish and shallot salad, onigiri (made with 2:1 brown to white rices) some are filled with umeshiso paste, decorated with red bell pepper and carrot flowers.

I actually ate this on a Sunday. I had it in the fridge and it was the quickest lunch available, but also very tasty. The onigiri had gotten a little hard by this point, which was a shame, but considering that they had been made several days earlier and just languished in the fridge, it was not surprising. Since this didn't get transported anywhere, everything stayed put.

2 comments:

  1. This one is very cute. I like the carrot decorations. Did you have the lid on the box in the fridge? Also, do you eat onigiri warm or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I pack a bento lunch, I either make sure that things are cool when I put them in, or I cool them down to room temp before putting on the lid. You have to put a lid on it in the fridge overnight or the onigiri will turn into rock-hard onigiri.
    Usually I eat them cold when they're in my lunch. Sometimes I'll eat one of the ones I've just made when it's hot, but I don't, as a rule, reheat them at lunch.

    ReplyDelete