Sunday, July 11, 2010

Retro posted from 6/27/2010- Small sandwiches and the toll of no sleep

As the conference went on, it became more of a test of our fortitude--in DC by 8am, getting on the metro by 10:30pm. And then hanging out with my folks until the wee hours of the night--then getting up and doing it again. So this was the last day that I made a bento for us and it's pretty low-key. It ended up being pretty delicious, though, so I'm not really complaining.
Contents of C-bento: strawberries and grapes, carrots, tomatoes, small sandwich with star-cut out. More small sandwiches, two olives, carrots. The bottom section has cabbage, mini pepper, and a hot-dog octopus! The little face did not survive, but that's ok. There's also a fishy of ketchup. The octopus is sitting in an octopus food cup which was from the SWAG. The tiny sandwiches have pub cheese and jalapeno in them. It was actually really delicious.

Contents of my bento: tomatoes, olives, tiny sandwiches with star cutout, and carrot sticks. The other side has cabbage and strawberries and grapes.

Like I said, the pub cheese and jalapeno was good. And the sandwiches were not soggy by lunch time. The pub cheese was from Trader Joe's, so I don't feel that badly about eating it. It's more cheese and less cheese-food-product. This bento also reminded me that though I don't often pack a sandwich bento, I probably should consider doing it more often. They are very tasty and if you pack your fillings carefully, they can stay nice (not soggy) until lunchtime.




1 comment:

  1. Love love the octopus. Also your mini sandwiches are cute, they must really be mini. I actually made myself a sandwich/pita chip/tiny container of dried cranberries bento dinner the other day when I was getting rushed to a movie after being home from work for like 10 minutes... I save my Chinese food containers- which are big, but they are what i have- so I keep them and use them instead of buying something or trashing them... reduce reuse recycle!

    ReplyDelete