Wednesday, September 15, 2010

9/14/2010- Delights of Summer!

Our garden is bursting with tomatoes and everything right now. Crazy. I spent most of the weekend (it felt like) processing tomatoes to freezer can or making pesto to freeze. Of course, when HB came back from out of town and told me he wanted "that great pesto pasta you make...with the sungolds" how could I say no?

Contents of bento: In lower tier-Pesto mini penne (with almonds instead of pine nuts) with halved Sungold Cherry tomatoes, garnished with parsley. In upper tier- chips, homemade salsa with 4 different kinds of onions from the farmer's market, small plum, and some great mild sheeps-milk cheese (also from the farmer's market).

This bento really says "late summer" to me. Sure, you could make a bento just like this in January, but the plum and tomatoes would definitely be sub-standard.

HB's mum collects all kinds of things, including these little lidded plastic containers that fit perfectly in this bento box. Score! After my weekend of tomato processing, I still had (have) plenty of fruits but I was getting tired of peeling, seeding, cutting, and boiling boiling boiling. I was standing in the kitchen and thinking, "oh man, what else can I do with tomatoes???" And then it hit me: fresh salsa, duh. This came out so well I made more to go with the chili I made tonight for dinner. No picture on that, it's just going in a regular container, so I hardly think it counts as a "bento lunch." But regardless, I am excited to have some other way to eat tomatoes. I haven't gotten a rash from them yet, but the first frost is still a ways off. :D

2 comments:

  1. Dang that is some way good looking pesto. Lately I have been making towers of small containers for lunch. I have these little 1 cup containers, and come that are the size of small hummus containers, and I just put different things in a couple of them- like cottage cheese in one (only half full, a whole cup is alot of cottage cheese) and veggies or fruits in another, and some broken Wasa crackers in another. Or today- Rice and beans in one, leftover ground turkey taco meat in another, and cucumber and tomatoes in a third. I like it but sometimes I think it's too much food, smaller containers seem a little silly, but maybe I should go bento box shopping and find a tower that locks together instead of depending on my furohiki to keep them together.

    ReplyDelete